About my baby

Stories and advice about my parenting from baby's birth onwards, including breast-feeding / nursing, sleeping, feeding solids, reading, talking, crawling, walking, playing, behavior, discipline, life of a stay at home mom and anything else linked to parenting you can think of.

Friday, March 6, 2009

how we transitioned our baby to her own bed

Firstly, if you are reading this article then you're probably already co-sleeping with your baby. As you may now, when done safely, co-sleeping is one of the most rewarding experiences you can share with your child. However, there may come a time when you feel that your child or even baby is ready to sleep on his own. There are a few articles as to how to transition your child to his own bed, but I'd like to share our own experience.

For us, the key to listen to our baby. When we first took her home, we were not intent on co-sleeping but neither were we closed to the idea. We tried the crib, then an arms-reach bassinet, and finally when we took her to our bed. A couple of days into the co-sleeping habit she became the happiest baby, even apparently unrelated problems like nursing and gas were solved. 

Every night at her bed time one of us would lie down next to her until she was asleep, then we would sneak out and return when she needed us and/or when it's our own bed time. After she turned a year we started to notice that she slept really well when we weren't around but then started moving and feeling for us when we came to bed. This told me that she may not really need us during sleep transitions anymore and that if she slept better without us it may be time for her to sleep by herself. So we set up a mattress on the floor in her room and I slept next to her for the first two weeks until she was used to the room. After that I'd be there when she falls asleep and then sneak out. She still feels for me in the middle of the night but now at 16 months she can go most of the night (about seven to eight hours) without me. It does take time but for us, it's worth it as we believe a baby should never feel uncomfortable or scared of sleeping. 

I'd also like to make a note that when I first started to sneak out, I jumped at every sound and movement that I could see on the monitor and I'd rush to her - big mistake. It was only when we decided  to be on a different floor when she's sleeping (so we could watch loud action movies, etc) did I realize that she didn't need me all the time. When she moved or sounded like she was crying, I'd run upstairs but then when I got there she'd be asleep again. So that taught me to be less reactive and in turn that probably taught her to self-sooth more often when I'm not around.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful if you can do it safely, and of course if your baby needs it. When my baby is ready (I think when she can be more conversational), we'll let her choose a big girl bed and we'll teach her to fall asleep by herself. That be a really big step for both baby and her parents!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Blog Directory blogarama - the blog directory Mommy Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory